There’s no doubt about it — small changes done consistently add up to amazingly big changes. And that is particularly true when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight.
The editors at FitSugar recently highlighted creative, fun and easy ways something as simple as an ice cube tray can make portion control.
Here are some of their great ideas:
- Next time you make a batch of cookies, scoop half of the dough into ice cube trays and freeze. That helps you control calories now by reducing temptation — but it also gives you a quick, easy and portion-controlled sweet treat for later because you can pop just one or two out and bake them on demand.
- Freeze fresh lemon, lime or orange juice into cubes and then use it to flavor still or sparkling waters to save the calories of juice or soda.
- Ice cube trays are also a great way to simplify eating right. Puree fruit like strawberries, pineapple or mango and freeze. A cube or two added to your yogurt gives you a serving of fruit with much less sugar and fewer calories than most sugared store-bought yogurts. Pureed veggies like peas, spinach, squash and carrots can be defrosted and mixed into soups, baked goods, dips and smoothies to sneak in vegetables where your family will never suspect them!
- If your recipes call for fresh herbs but they seem too pricey and tend to go to waste, try freezing washed and chopped herbs like basil, oregano, rosemary and cilantro with water or broth and then use them in soups, sauces and recipes.
- Ice cubes are also a great way to store leftover wine for recipes.
- Finally, did you know that each ice cube section is roughly an ounce? That makes the tray a great way to measure out one-ounce portions of nuts or cheese for snacks.
To read more and for the full list of ways this unassuming pantry staple can help you eat right and stay healthy, read the full article at http://www.fitsugar.com/Ice-Cube-Trays-Weight-Loss-29732585.